Saturday, September 4, 2010

Naselle Player Post - Imperfect Shutout

So at the end of the day the Comets won over the Fishermen 24-0, but that score could have easily been closer, or it could just have easily been 40-0. Both sides made first-game mistakes, but I know I was surprised at how many we made.
Our defense was probably our best part of the night, as we kind of expected. We held Ilwaco to only four first downs the entire night. But, two of those were from penalties. We had practiced against their wing-t offense for what seemed like forever and even with all of our defensive success I can't help but feel like we could've done a few small things better, like capitalizing on loose footballs lying on the grass.
Our offense was a slightly different story. At a glance we had around 330 yds of offense which is pretty decent by most standards, but a closer look shows that we also had 5 fumbles. We scored three times, but if we hadn't turned the ball over twice in the redzone, let alone once in the endzone, we could've easily doubled our score. There is a lot to work on and I know we all will be studying our game film this weekend. I know I made more than my fair share of blocking mistakes and I know what I have to look for and what I need to improve on.
At the end of the night, we still shut out Ilwaco 24-0 and I'm very happy with that. Me and DT/FB Robert Eaton led the team in tackles. I had a sack and a fumble recovery while he had two tackles for losses. Its one of the few times I've been able to to say that I had just as good of numbers as he had and I wont let him forget it until next week! Soph RB Kai Leach had two TDs and Sr RB Leonel Mendoza had 120 rushing yards while averaging around 10yds a carry. Robert had around 70 yds on 13 carries which was also pretty decent. SR Chase Chapman also had a nice yards-per-carry average.
Next week we open at home against Warrenton to finish our non-league games before we start league play with Raymond. Hopefully by then we will have all of our little problems fixed and we will be able to really play Comets football for 48!

Comet DE/RT Ryley Queener #71

No comments: